White Slant Background
Nilson Van
Contact us today!
toll free 800-845-2682
local 803-786-1090
Background Shadow
Shadow Bottom
  • Nilson Van


Your Moving and Packing Questions Answered

Browse some of the questions we are asked most often about packing and preparing for a move. Have a question that's not answered here? If you can't find the answers you're looking for on our site, contact us to speak to one of our experts directly.

Am I protected against loss and damage while my goods are on the move?

Yes, but the Mayflower "valuation" program you choose determines how much protection you have and the cost to you. You can choose between Full-Value Coverage or Released Rate Liability (60 cents per pound per article).

The valuation option you choose determines the maximum liability by Mayflower and the basis for which any claim will be adjusted. The liability of Mayflower for loss or damage is based upon Mayflower's tariffs, as well as federal laws and regulations, and has certain limitations and exclusions.

Valuation is not insurance; it is simply a tariff-based level of motor carrier liability. Because Mayflower does not offer insurance, you should consult your insurance company representative about available insurance coverages if you wish to apply for any.

Are you ISO certified?

Yes. Mayflower Transit is ISO 9001:2000 certified, adhering to the strict standards and commitment to quality associated with this certification.

Can I move frozen foods?

You should only move your frozen foods under specific, limited conditions. Most times, we suggest making arrangements to ship frozen foods through local frozen food locker plants, especially for long distance moves. It may even be easier to just plan to use up the goods or donate them to someone before your move. If you do want to move frozen foods, be sure to discuss this with your moving agent.

Can I move jewelry and other valuables?

You can include items of extraordinary value, such as jewelry, money, photographs, and antiques, in your shipment. However, you must first notify your Mayflower agent of these items before packing or moving day. While we will ship these items for you, we strongly recommend you take any irreplaceable items with you, personally, on your move.

Items worth more than $100 per pound are considered articles of extraordinary value in the moving industry. Complete and sign the High-Value Inventory form and sign the "Extraordinary (Unusual) Value Article Declaration" box on the Bill of Lading to be assured that a claim involving these articles is not limited to minimal liability. If you aren't including any articles of extraordinary value in your shipment, simply write "none" on the High-Value Inventory form and sign it.

Can I move my house plants?

Because plants may suffer from a lack of water, light, and probably temperature changes, Mayflower cannot take responsibility for transporting your plants. You may find it safer to take your plants with you in the car or ship them by plane.

Be sure to check the regulations of the state you're moving to. Some states place restrictions on the entry of plants. Check to make sure yours will be admitted.

Can I move my pet?

Pets are not allowed on the moving van. Usually it's best to take pets, such as birds, cats, and dogs, along with you in the family car. If this is an inconvenience, your moving agent will be happy to suggest other ways to move your pet safely.

Can I pack my china, glass, and crystal?

For special, fragile items, most people prefer to have professional movers pack these since they have years of experience. However, should you decide to pack these yourself, be sure to handle them with care, wrap each item individually, and pack them firmly within boxes using plenty of cushioning.

Pack the heaviest items on the bottom with lighter pieces on top. Fill the extra spaces with packing paper to prevent the pieces from moving while in transit.

If you need packing materials, you may purchase boxes, paper, and tape from our office for a small fee.

Can I pack my clothes in a chest or dresser drawers?

Light clothes, such as shirts, blouses, and lingerie, can be left in drawers for transit. However, you should not pack heavy items, such as books and linens, so as not to damage the furniture. You should also remove any valuable items or items that may spill or leak from drawers before moving.

Can I temporarily store my possessions?

You can store your possessions temporarily in our local warehouse if you are delayed in being able to move into your new residence. You will be responsible for storage charges, warehouse valuation coverage, and final delivery charges from the warehouse if you choose to store your items.

The cost and type of valuation coverage depends on the type of storage you choose. We offer both Storage In Transit for short-term storage and long-term storage options.

Can I track my employees' shipments?

Yes, you have the ability to check to see exactly where any of your employees' shipments are through our shipment tracking. We also provide your employee access to track their personal shipment using their last name and order number.

Request a free quote

Please prove you're not a robot