How can you prevent moving costs from sneaking up on you? To begin with, every move should include a budget. Moving can be an expensive undertaking, and you want to be sure to allow enough money to cover all of the costs. However, some costs may sneak up on you if you aren’t aware. Here are ten to keep your eyes peeled for:
- Hiring budget movers – there is a reason moving companies are expensive. It could cost you more, in the long run, to go with a cheap company that might take shortcuts when packing and moving your belongings
- Tipping – movers do heavy work for long hours. Include a reasonable tip in your budget.
- Packing supplies – if you plan to move yourself, you’ll need to purchase packing supplies such as boxes, bubble wrap, and tape.
- Specialty items – items like a piano, valuable art, family heirlooms require special insurance. Make sure your moving company is fully licensed and insured, so you don’t pay the price for broken or damaged items.
- Overnight fees – If for some reason there is a delay in the process, you may have to pay for overnight storage. Make sure your moving company includes this in their contract.
- Replacing items you threw out – if you threw away spices, cosmetics, soaps, etc. you will have to replace them when you arrive at your new home.
- Hotel stay – If your is long-distance, you should include hotel accommodations along the route or near your destination.
- Kennel – What about Fido and Fluffy? If they cannot stay in a hotel with you, they might have to go to a kennel. A kennel or doggy daycare can also reduce the stress on your pets and keep them from being underfoot while the movers work.
- Elevator or stair fees – if your new building has an elevator or stairs, you may have to pay extra to use them. Carrying heavy furniture up three flights of stairs is no mean feat.
- Parking fees – If your new move takes you to a city where the moving truck needs to park illegally to unload, they might get a ticket or a fine. You may be responsible for that cost.
The key to a smooth move is proper preparation and planning. If you budget for the unexpected, hidden expenses won’t sneak up on you when you arrive. For help planning your next move, including information on moving costs, call the experts at Nilson Van & Storage today.